Sunday, March 26, 2006

HITCHING POST SAINT RITA'S EARTH - 2001


When Sideways became a hit in theaters, I made sure to pick up some Hitching Post Pinot Noir. I had quite a few Santa Barbara Pinots already in my cellar being a fan of both the varietal and the hidden gems Santa Barbara has to offer. However, I had never tasted Hitching Post Pinot Noir. I eagerly anticipated pulling the cork.

TASTING NOTES:
From Hartley Ostini, this wine gets its grapes from Sanford and Benedict, Fiddlestix and Clos Pepe. It has strong, dark, earthy fruit flavors with spices and herbs. The alcohol was a bit much and not as integrated as I would have liked. I wished it was much smoother and rounder.

SCORE & RECOMMENDATION:

87 PTS
I bought this wine on sale for less than $30, but I think it retails for quite a bit more. I love the label and the buzz that Hitching Post wine has gotten, but I think if I was blind tasting this bottle I might have scored it a point lower. Hitching Post is really known for its Highliner Pinot Noir made famous by Sideways. I have a bottle of Highliner waiting for me in the cellar. I look forward to tasting it this summer on my patio with some grilled salmon. I hope it lives up to the hype.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home