Thursday, March 23, 2006

SPRING VALLEY VINEYARDS "URIAH" - 2002


Back-to-back Washington wine posts. I had the pleasure of visiting Washington State a few years ago and the state is as beautiful as the wine coming out of it. Although most of the wineries are located east of Olympic National Park, Mt. St. Helen's and Mt. Ranier, I always think of the cool crisp summer air that must have a delightful effect on grapes.

I found this bottle on clearance for half price ($19). It is a red meritage/bordeaux blend from Walla Walla. 77% Merlot, 22% Cabernet Franc and 1% Petite Verdot.

TASTING NOTES:

This is a big, rich wine, nearly full bodied. It is dark, deep purple in color with luscious sweet berries, cherry and bitter chocolate on the finish. Even the casual wine drinker should be able to taste the dark bitter chocolate on this one. I can't tell you how many times I've anticipated chocolate notes in a wine after reading a review and been unable to taste them. I've grown skeptical of a lot of tasting notes that identify aromas and flavors that I can't even grasp a hint of, but trust me on this one, the chocolate is identifiable. I was so impressed that I bought a second bottle the next day before the store ran out of stock.


SCORE & RECOMMENDATION:

90 PTS
This bottle is actually worth about $25 - $30, but it lists for closer to $40. I'm not sure I'd reach that high, even though this wine is top notch. It is impeccably smooth, yet it packs a big punch for being primarily made of Merlot. It also has a garage, grunge edge to it that I really loved. I am always thrilled to find wines that still retain a sort of raw, unfiltered, homemade feel to them. The Uriah does just that. I can still taste the harmonious chocolate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home