Tuesday, March 28, 2006

TENUTA I MURACCI FORTEDIGA MAREMMA - 2004

When I see pure Cabernet-Syrah combinations, I tend to think of cheap red wines with alcohol so strong that it can remove the paint from the hood of your car. I shouldn't be so judgmental, but unfortunately I've attended too many corporate parties where disappointing, low-grade Cabernet-Syrah blends were poured. So when I heard good things about the Fortediga, I decided to put aside my prejudices and take the bottle for a taste drive.

TASTING NOTES:

This is a very youthful wine. It glows a gorgeous purple hue in the glass with dominant cherry flavors accented by licorice and a hint of caramel. After much swishing and swirling, I also detected a bit of chalk dust on the back palate. Made from 60% Cabernet Sauvignon and 40% Syrah, it is fairly smooth but perhaps a little underoaked. I would have preferred a touch more wood.

SCORE & RECOMMENDATION:

88 PTS
This bottle retails for around $14. It is an enjoyable wine, with solid attributes, but not one that really stays with you. By the time you open your next bottle, you will have forgotten its name.

1 Comments:

  • Thanks for your previous comments Wine Master - I dig your site and am impressed with the amount of posts you have in such a short time. Thanks again. Must also agree that there are truck loads of ass cab-shiraz out there but the "super Tuscans" do some fun ones, though often pretty pricey and hardly expressing an Italian characteristics. I say less wood, more acid. Thanks again, Matt

    By Blogger Matt, at Tuesday, March 28, 2006 1:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home