Wednesday, April 19, 2006

6TH SENSE SYRAH - 2003



This Syrah from Michael-David Vineyards in Lodi, California has an intriguing name and an enticing label. On the back of the bottle, the label has some catchy wine poetry. This Syrah seems to be all about the packaging.

TASTING NOTES:

There's not too much to say about this one. It is clean, with no character and honestly not too much flavor. It is smooth on the palate with a bit of dark fruit and that is about it. It reminds me of what red wine tastes like when I have a cold and all the flavors are muted.

SCORE & RECOMMENDATION:

82 PTS
Pretty uninspired Syrah with 14.8% alcohol. Perhaps one needs a 6th Sense to taste and enjoy this one. The wine costs around $13 which would be better spent on a DVD of the M. Night movie by the same name.

6 Comments:

  • If this is what it tasted like in 2003, pity. I can't imagine this being a current review. Newer bottlings are much more divine. The price has gone up a bit, but the amazing velvet is erotic up front and lingers around afterword to carress you sleepily. I prefer to drink little else, save to remind myself how satisfying this is relative to most others in the 10-20 dollar range.
    ---Cleveland, OH

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, December 13, 2006 6:27:00 PM  

  • This was a review that I did in April. I would encourage you to try other Syrahs in this price range that significantly outdeliver this one. I found 6th Sense to be a real disappointment. That said, perhaps the 2004 or future bottlings will be better. The 03 was a pass.

    By Blogger Winecentric, at Thursday, December 14, 2006 3:07:00 PM  

  • Hello! I just did an internet search on this wine because I loved it so much. I was curious as to the cost and was pleasantly surprised. I did try the 2004 and it was wonderful!! :) We are thinking of serving it at our upcoming wedding!! Wonderful wine!! No bitter after taste! Smooth and even my future husband who doesn't like wine loved it! We had to call the person who gave it to us to THANK HIM and ask him where he got it.
    Jenny Chico CA

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, January 12, 2007 1:17:00 AM  

  • Too bad winecentric sampled a poor bottle because he is way off mark on this vingtage. I have thoroughly enjoyed three bottles of the 2003 and it is thoroughly delightful with wonderful depth, weight, body, finish. Wish I could find another Syrah under $20 which compares as none do.
    Your particular 03 was a pass which is your loss.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, December 30, 2007 11:46:00 PM  

  • I agree, this syrah is a bore. Very smooth, a bit too sweet and jammy. I would like some darker or spicier notes.
    -Cleveland, OH

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, September 05, 2008 1:06:00 AM  

  • The first sip was divine...sparking an emotional connection. I became an instant fan and will be buying the 6th Sense Syrah for every dinner party.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, September 05, 2009 9:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home