Saturday, April 01, 2006

THE LUCKY COUNTRY SHIRAZ/CABERNET - 2003


I'm trying. I'm really trying to give Australian wine a chance. I loved the Two Up Shiraz. I loved what Clarendon Hills and Two Hands have been able to accomplish in Australia even better. Lucky Country is made by Two Hands. I can't go wrong, can I? Or can I?

TASTING NOTES:

This 55% Shiraz and 45% Cabernet blend from down under has a nose of ripe cherries with a hint of blueberries. The wine tastes like cherries: tart cherries, pungent cherries, cherry cough syrup - nothing but cherries.

SCORE & RECOMMENDATION:

83 PTS
Australia disappoints me again. While this exhibits lots of cherry fruit it is just too medicinal to really enjoy. The alcohol content is 14.5% and out of balance with the rest of the wine. This wine retails for anywhere from $12 - $15. This is an average wine and at any price I can't recommend it.

2 Comments:

  • I think it's easy to love aussie wine especially the good stuff. Ever tasted Penfolds Grange? How about amon-ra shiraz? Man some of the best wines in the world are from Australia and I think your on the right track if your trying to like them. For me, I'm trying to learn more about frech wines other than Bordeaux. Come wisit my blogs sometime. I have several but do have a wine blog as well.

    By Blogger thomas, at Monday, April 03, 2006 1:21:00 AM  

  • Thanks for your comments. There are definitely some expensive Australian wines that are terrific, but if you have to spend $80 - $100+ to get good Aussie wine, that isn't saying much.

    -W

    By Blogger Winecentric, at Monday, April 03, 2006 9:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home