Monday, April 17, 2006

MCMANIS FAMILY VINEYARD PETITE SIRAH - 2004


This wine is a new arrival at my local store and a very welcomed one. When it comes to Petite Sirah, the selections are always limited. Any new wines of this varietal instantly capture my attention.

TASTING NOTES:

I bought this bottle for $7.99. I have to be honest, I was a bit prejudiced based on its low price. I figured it would be average at best. Boy, was I surprised! The McManis has a simple, forward nose of Welch's Grape Juice. The initial predominant flavor was blueberry. After the wine opened up, the blueberry disappeared and the taste drifted more towards blackberry. The wine was incredibly silky and smooth. The mouthfeel was tremendously impressive. It was not at all astringent and the 14.2% alcohol content is virtually undetectable. This was not a complex wine yet it was very enjoyable.

SCORE & RECOMMENDATION:

91 PTS
McManis has crafted an alluring Petite Sirah that will keep tempting you to pour yourself another glass. Wonderfully simple, but delicious, it is hard to find any faults with this wine. Perhaps it is not as concentrated or rich as I would have hoped for a Petite Sirah, but at this price it is awe inspiring
.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home