Tuesday, August 29, 2006

CORTES DE CIMA CHAMINE - 2004


One of the cheapest in the Cortes de Cima wine portfolio is the Chamine which retails for about $9.99. This Portuguese red is made of 55% Aragonez (Tempranillo), 40% Syrah and 5% Touriga Nacional.

TASTING NOTES:

Sweet blue and black fruits with mellow oak, earth and minerals. Finishes smooth and fruity with good tannic structure.

SCORE & RECOMMENDATION:

87 PTS
A really nice, affordable red from Portugal. I really like this wine and highly recommend it as an entry into what this country is producing beyond the expected Ports. There's great value and unique reds readily available from this country and there's no better place to start than with Cortes de Cima. They are a solid producer at all price levels.

5 Comments:

  • Great recomendation to be introduced into the "new" Portugal red wines, good prize for a good wine: to be discovered.
    Chears!
    Joan (after the Mallorca holidays!)

    By Blogger Blog De Vinis, at Wednesday, August 30, 2006 5:55:00 AM  

  • Thanks Joan! I really hope people get out there and try these Portuguese reds before they skyrocket in price. They are fantastic and Cortes de Cima is great on both the low and higher end.

    By Blogger Winecentric, at Wednesday, August 30, 2006 4:21:00 PM  

  • Certainly, the ends of these "new" Portuguese red wines are absolutely interesting, long and powerful, more vivid than the great majority of spanish and french reds I usually drink. I really don't know the reason because, as far as I know these wines, it seems to me to be a characteristic, at least of the wines proceding from the center and south of Portugal.
    Joan
    PS. I'm sure you explained this in your first comments, but it will be really interesting to me to know how you produce your wines' scoring. I have my own method (at a 100 points scale too; well, at a 99 points scale, because Perfection does'nt exist, I guess!), but I would'nt dare to publish my scorings, at the moment.

    By Blogger Blog De Vinis, at Thursday, August 31, 2006 5:07:00 AM  

  • Hi there...
    Sorry but just a little correction in the text, Chaminé isn´t the cheapest wine from Cortes de Cima, that wine is the Courela, a blend from Trincadeira, Aragonêz and Cabernet Sauvignon with no oak stage and 13%.

    Have a grape day.

    By Blogger João de Carvalho, at Friday, September 08, 2006 10:12:00 PM  

  • Good wish that of "have a grape day"!
    Joan

    By Blogger Blog De Vinis, at Saturday, September 09, 2006 4:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home