Friday, June 29, 2007

CHATEAU REYNELLA OLD CAVE TAWNY PORT - NV

This premium Tawny Port is named after Chateau Reynella's historic 1845 cellar. Built by the founder John Reynell, it is Australia's oldest operating cellar. This Tawny or barrel aged Port is from McLaren Vale, Oz and has an alcohol content of 20%. It is made from Shiraz and Grenache grapes and aged for 12 years in oak casks.

TASTING NOTES:

Red-amber color with figs, dried fruits and nuts on the nose. Smooth and sweet with a little heat but showing concentrated flavors of spice, oak, raisins, almonds and a long tremendous hazelnut finish.

SCORE & RECOMMENDATION:

92 PTS
I love Tawny Ports and Australia offers the best bargains in the category. A Tawny of this quality from Portugal would cost significantly more than the $13 I spent. Really long on the finish and not at all cloying. A great introduction to Tawny if you've never tried it.

1 Comments:

  • I love a good Port but have never had one from Australia. Where does one find the Chateau Reynella? Congrats on the baby girl! And I also agree I fell in love with Banfi's Rosa regale a couple of years ago...goes great with any chocolate dessert, especially dark chocolate. I purchased a case and have the last one in the cellar till I find more.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, September 25, 2007 6:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home