Saturday, December 20, 2008

QUINTA DO PORTAL COLHEITA DOURO- 2002

Produced from Tinta Roriz (45%), Touriga Franca (25%), and Touriga National (15%) grape varieties and aged for 9 months in oak barrels. 12.5% alcohol.

TASTING NOTES:

Ruby color with creamy oak and red fruits on the nose. Overly simplistic and very smooth with black currant and blackberry notes. Lighter bodied than expected.

SCORE & RECOMMENDATION:

82 PTS
You almost can't go wrong with Douros from Portugal, but this one comes up short. Too simplistic and not all that enjoyable. For around $10 a bottle this is a very affordable wine but it is not one I'd recommend.

6 Comments:

  • I want it!

    By Blogger Ray, at Sunday, December 21, 2008 11:49:00 AM  

  • I have started following your blog over the last few weeks. Normally I end up going to Kermit Lynch or whole foods to pick up wine.

    Is there something that you would recommend from whole foods that I could pick up for Christmas

    I normally like very bold highly structured cabs

    By Blogger Bindu Reddy, at Monday, December 22, 2008 6:08:00 PM  

  • Hey Bindu,

    I'm not sure exactly what wines Whole Foods carries. I live in NJ and Whole Foods here doesn't carry wine.

    I would recommend Twenty Rows for value Cab or Washington State Cabs which I think are coming on strong.

    I'd also really encourage you to try Portuguese Douros and Ridge Zin blends and Rosenblum Rockpile Zinfandels if you love full bodied vanilla-oak wines.

    By Blogger Winecentric, at Tuesday, December 23, 2008 9:16:00 PM  

  • Thanks for the tip!

    By Blogger Bindu Reddy, at Saturday, December 27, 2008 5:12:00 AM  

  • Getting a 2002 Colheita means that it has spent the absolute minimum time in barrel. I would have my doubts about the wine just from that. Good Colheitas will spend upwards of 10 years in barrel, some many more years than that.

    You would have been better off with a non-vintage tawny, which would have had the benefit of at least a smidgen of older wine.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, January 12, 2009 7:20:00 PM  

  • Hello,
    j'ai acheté ce vin pendant mes vacances en Algarve et j'ai étais très agréablement surpris !!! Il est très bon, notament sur une bonne viande grillé et du bon fromage. note 7.5/10

    By Blogger Unknown, at Monday, September 14, 2009 11:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home