Saturday, December 06, 2008

QUINTA DO VALE MEAO MEANDRO DOURO - 2006

40% Touriga National, 30% Tinta Roriz, 20% Tinta Barroca, 57% Tinta Amarela. 14.5% alcohol.

TASTING NOTES:

Dark, rich, red color with grapey-blueberry-blackberry nose. Gargantuan blueberry and black currant/cassis flavors. Red fruits blend with a meaty mid-palate, light oak and loads of acidity. Black pepper underneath and wonderful minerality. A big wine that is not overly tannic.

SCORE & RECOMMENDATION:

93 PTS
This is a special and TREMENDOUS wine. Retails for around $21 but I've seen it as low as $13. The intensity of fruit, richness of character, and purity of flavor is exceptional. This very well might be my wine find of the year. In terms of value, I can't think of anything better I've had in 2008. If I had a third thumb, I'd give it 3 thumbs up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home