Monday, May 04, 2009

PALO ALTO RESERVA SAUVIGNON BLANC - 2008

From Maule Valley, Chile with 12.5% alcohol. Made from 100% Sauvignon Blanc and aged in stainless steel tanks.

TASTING NOTES:

Pale yellow color with citrus, gooseberry and grass on the nose. Grapefruit, gooseberry and citrus on the palate. Sharp acidity upfront and on the finish. The alcohol is also showing through on the back-end.

SCORE & RECOMMENDATION:

82 PTS
I've been a huge fan of Palo Alto's Reserva Red wine. The 2005 vintage of that wine was so exceptional that it was my value wine of the entire year. I still treasure the last few bottles that remain in my cellar and I'm thrilled that Wine Specator is finally noticing it and giving it very good reviews. To say that I was excited to try their Sauvignon Blanc would be an understatement, but unfortunately it did not live up my expectations. The fruit here pretty much dissipates on the palate leaving citrus and acidity behind. There's just not enough depth. Definitely serviceable, but for $11 a bottle you can find superior Sauvignon Blanc that will bring some excitement to the table.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home