Wednesday, February 17, 2010

BODEGA COLOME MALBEC - 2006

From Argentina. 85% Malbec, 8% Tannat, 7% Cabernet Sauvignon.

TASTING NOTES:

Dark red-purple color with blackberry-boysenberry on the nose. On the palate, lots of black currant, black fruit, chewy dusty tannin with sour-tart green flavors on the finish. Almost reminds me of unripened blueberries at the end.

SCORE & RECOMMENDATION:

87+ PTS
Wine Spectator raved and gave this wine 92 points but I found this wine didn't come together like I hoped it would. I was yearning for more complexity and the finish lost me. It wasn't round and although it definitely improved on the second day, the fruit faded. It just didn't find the harmony one seeks in an outstanding effort. I love Tannat but I the rough tannic edge it brings to this wine is probably what I'm not responding to here. Retails for around $22 making it a questionable purchase in my book.

1 Comments:

  • Yeah, malbec blends can be difficult to achieve; we, of course, prefer the varietal on its own. Interesting note on the black fruit and tartness, since I usually recommend Malbec to go with summer desserts. A few examples: it makes strawberry shortcake deeper and more complex, and gives other fruit tarts (blueberry, for example) a sharp freshness. Personally, I think it’s the aromas that do it. Something about that dark nose really complements light desserts.

    By Blogger Gascon Malbec Ambassador, at Tuesday, April 27, 2010 7:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home