Monday, October 11, 2010

TEMPRA TANTRUM TEMPRANILLO/CABERNET - 2009

60% Tempranillo, 40% Cabernet Sauvignon. 13.5% alcohol. Grown on the Osborne family estate in Malpica de Tajo, Spain. Micro-oxygenated and ready to drink.

TASTING NOTES:

Rich red color with very bright and vibrant red fruit aromas and brambly flavors. Explosive raspberry, blackberry, and cherry come through upfront with plum and black currant notes lurking underneath. Good length, soft, well-balanced with good acidity.

SCORE & RECOMMENDATION:

88+PTS
Rocio Osborne has made an exciting and lush wine that offers some powerful fruit without being artificial or over-the-top. Suggested retail is around $10 a bottle. That's pretty amazing given the quality, intensity, and complexity found in this one. Really impressive and the kind of wine that significantly over-delivers given its price. An added bonus is that the alcohol is very well integrated and is only 13.5% despite the ripeness of the fruit. One of the top value wines of the year that I have had the pleasure of tasting.

4 Comments:

  • I don't know how this got rated anything but a zero. This is the only wine I have ever tried that I can say was truly disgusting. Harsh. Acidic. An embarrassment to wine. The only wine I have ever dumped down the drain.

    By Blogger Fox Hollow Estates, at Tuesday, February 08, 2011 11:16:00 PM  

  • I couldn't disagree with Fox Hollow Estates more! This was a fabulous, affordable Spanish red. I adored it, and I quoted your thoughts on it over at my blog today.

    By Blogger Rebecca Gomez Farrell, at Wednesday, June 15, 2011 4:12:00 PM  

  • Fox Hollow must have gotten a bad bottle. We agree with Gourmez. We were surprised that a wine that good could be had at a modest price.

    The Greens
    Saratoga Springs, NY

    By Blogger dkpvny, at Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:38:00 PM  

  • Being cooped up at my parent's house which usually has nothing but zins in stock, I found this bottle and cracked it open (literally, no cork).
    TO MY SURPRISE, it was really good! My expectations of a skunked red wine completely vanished. Loved it - drank the whole damn thing and it had nothing to do with being cooped up. Ok so it does...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, November 01, 2011 10:21:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home